I found this video about French cliches. Some if them are really random but a few parts are soo true! Here is my own little list of French stereotypes I brought with me to Paris and what I’ve discovered.
- The French are rude – This one’s kind of true, however, I don’t think they think they are being rude (at least sometime) and if you ask, they’ll usually try to help
- Everyone carries around a baguette – True, true, true 🙂
- Everyone drinks red wine – Very true, you are judged by the wine you drink here, however if you were me you’d be buying the cheapest bottle of rose you can find
- The women don’t shave – Thank goodness it’s winter, I have been lucky enough not to find out the answer to this!
- Paris is expensive – Unfortunately this is true, but it’s not impossible to save while visiting (thanks to my Frommer’s Paris Free & Dirt Cheap book!)
- Everyone smokes cigarettes – UGHH… true!
- The French are lazy – I wouldn’t say they’re lazy (college in France is SO much harder than in the US) however when it comes to customer service, don’t hold you’re breath… things take forever to get done around here
- The food is all gourmet – So far as a can tell the French don’t settle for bad food. Sometimes I miss my junk food, but the Nutella crepes and fresh baguette sandwiches sold on the sidewalks are delish!
- Paris is all about high fashion – For the most part everyone looks nice, all the time (no matter what they can afford)
- Everyone has a view of the Eiffel Tower – I wish
But it’s okay, some things are just cultural facts. Like no matter how hard my friends and I try, we always end up looking like loud Americans. Maybe there is a little truth to every cliche? They had to come from somewhere…
From Paris with love! xoxo.