At the beginning of the school year, I drove a student home on her birthday. She was sorely depressed after having a subpar day and being forgotten at school. My friend turned around to the backseat and attempted to brighten up the girls day by suggesting that she make a to do list. If she could pick anything, what 15 things would this 15 year old want to accomplish this year?
That’s where I first got the idea. I had heard about 25 year old bucket lists and such, but I liked 15 for 15.. or in my case 24 for 24. Until last night, I had hardly put any thought into it. I knew I wanted to travel to Asia, but that’s about it. So after dropping my brother at the airport (goodbyes are always depressing) I pushed myself to think about all the awesome things that could happen this year.
So here it is.. My list of 24 things I will accomplish as a 24 year old.
1. Take a dance class (It’s about time I found the time..)
2. Learn a language (Brush up my French? Or finally learn some Italian?)
3. Take a photography class (How long have I owned my Nikon?)
4. Organize my contacts
6. Get back to blogging
7. Beast out at networking (I better since I finish teaching in May. Anyone hiring?)
8. Read 24 books
9. Travel to Asia
10. Save $12,000
11. Take 3 inspiring people to lunch (and pick their brains)
12. Scuba dive or snorkel (I get anxiety under water)
13. Day of nice
14. Go on a blind date
15. Run a 10K
16. Visit 2 new US cities
17. Take a whole weekend off (no cell phones, no internet)
18. Create a travel scrapbook
19. Buy myself a nice piece of jewelry
20. Buy expensive art
21. Get abs
22. Big girl haircut
23. Set a goal and surpass it
24. Start a retirement plan
I’m excited because Maggie’s birthday is next week and she has a list as well. I think we can help hold each other accountable. And we created our lists separately but still ended up with a lot of overlap.
I am going to take pictures (yeah #3) and document my accomplishments to make it more exciting for myself. Maggie set up a fun birthday activity for Friday that will help knock off #5. I’m starting #4, 6 and 8 today. And most exciting is the trip we are planning to Thailand (#9)!! Somehow this is way more exciting than presents.
And no we don’t wear tiaras on our birthdays (despite the picture above). That’s from Maggie’s fake bachelorette party last year.